Monday, April 13, 2015

Michael Bradley: Waffle Structure

For this project, I based my root model on the symbol first seen on Luke Skywalker's fighter helmet in George Lucas's Star Wars.  The symbol later became the insignia for the entire faction in later movies.  Its designed to resemble a phoenix, and I felt it would make a great waffle structure.

Reference 1

Reference 2


To create this waffle structure, I had to experiment a lot with the spacing of the ribs and orientation.  The final choices I made were mostly due to the model's shape and because at the specific angle I chose I lost the least detail and retained the most structurally sound shape.  I also liked it better than simply making the shape with larger gaps and complete symmetry.  

I had originally intended to make this model with MDF but when I went to have it cut the lab tech told me it would be almost $100 just for the cuts, so I decided to go with two ply cardboard.  The final print ended up being perfect and the slots held together extremely well without an need for glue.  I wasn't sure what to do with it after it was done, but found out it looks really nice hanging on a wall.  I may decide to paint it at a later date, or seal it with contact glue, just to finish it a little more than just bare cardboard.


Root Model

Waffle Structure

Cut Sheet

Render 1

Render 2

Final 1

Final 2

No comments:

Post a Comment