Monday, October 9, 2017

Anyssa Akridge Week #8 3d Printing Project


Concept



My concept was inspired by these centaur garage kits that were sold at Wonder Festival 2015-16 In Japan. I adore collectable figurines and what's known as "Monster girls" in Japan. I decided to do my own twist on the centaur and did a half slug half gal hybrid. My collectable is supposed to be customizable using different painting applications just like garage kits. Each slug girl is supposed to come in a neutral color just like these tohoku centaur figurines. The owner then gets to paint their slug however they want!

Techniques
Bounding box dimensions depicted in the command line




 I used the software called Sculptris to model my figurine. In the program I primarily used the grab tool and mirror tool to form a symmetrical figure. Then I used the draw tool and crease tool to add the details to my character. I then used the smooth tool to pat down all the bumps on my figure to create a finished surface. Afterwards I transferred my figure over to Mudbox to check for any mesh mistakes. When that was over and done with I transferred my figure over to Rhino to resize my figure and convert my .OBJ file to an .STL file for printing. I sent over my figure to Shapeways and got my figure printed out in sandstone. I feel like using sandstone and Sculptris for my figure suited the more organic form of my design 

Materials







For printing My figure I used sandstone. This material is smooth and holds details well, which was perfect for my figure. I also finished my figure with sandpaper and Krylon gray primer, to give it the  feeling of a garage kit. In Keyshot I used a simple maroon paint render. This is because most garage kit figures come in a neutral color like gray to make it easier to hand paint on collectors, but since our keyshot backgrounds are at 50% gray, the neutral gray color would blend in too much, so I choose a maroon color to make it pop out from the background. I also feel like the shiny paint material shows details and mistakes well when creating figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment