Monday, October 9, 2017

Taylor Volquardsen - Week 8 - 3D Printing


Concept:
I don't have much room in my house anymore. I've taken so many art classes and have so many projects laying around that I wanted to be sure anything I made was something that I could use. I have a small indoor garden going on downstairs, so I decided to make a little planter pot. It was something small enough to fit in my house and also something I would use, so the plan was perfect.


Technique:
The shape of a basic planter pot is pretty simple, so I kept the modeling simple as well. It's one shape, made from a single sphere that I divided up and extruded to get the shape I wanted. The interior is a basic cylinder shape-instead of following the shape of the outside-to make planting and printing easy.


Material:
It took a while to find out what kind of material I wanted, having to take into consideration both cost and look. I originally wanted to do it in some form of wood or wood-looking material, but that was pretty expensive. I got lucky and found out the cheapest material for me to use on Shapeways was also one that I wanted to use. I decided on a Gloss Celadon Green Porcelain, a ceramic type in a nice seafoam green color.

My model is currently being printed at Shapeways. It should be ready for shipping by October 27.


No comments:

Post a Comment