Monday, October 30, 2017

Anyssa Akridge Week 10 - Cardboard ball

Concept:
My Idea for the cardboard ball would be a cosplay head piece of the little prince from Katamari. Katamari is a game where you collect objects onto a ball, and try to make that ball as big as you can before the time runs out. Since this is my first time using the pepakura process, I thought it would be apropriate to do a simple low poly model of a game character that's made out of primitive shapes.

Techniques:
Using Rhino , I modeled the head with the Cylinder tool, the Cone tool and the sphere tool/ Half sphere tool. I used the command show bounding box to look at and adjust the measurements. Then I used the Mesh from NURBS object tool to create the low poly model while also making adjustments. After that I separated all the shapes and imported my model into Pepakura Designer. I made sure that everything in the program was set to millimeters. I also used the slice tool to better place my laser cut lines onto the cardboard sheets. I exported the pepakura instructions and imported it back into rhino to color my pepakura lines. After receiving my Cardboard cuts back from the laser cutter I used Loctite glue and masking tape to construct the head for the Katamari character. Then I used a urethane sealant and acrylic paint to paint my head. I cute out a square hole in the bottom to place my head inside the mask. Finally I cut out the eye holes and stretched black stockings on the holes to create eyes I could see through, but still looked dark and black out the outside.
Materials:
I used Flute cardboard, Loctite glue and acrylic paint to create my Katamari head. Katamari is a low poly game so using the low poly model made of primitives while adding a more detailed paint job/ texture made my head more game like. I also used black stretch stockings over the eyes so I can see through the head without the viewer seeing my own eyes, wrecking the illusion. I also used masking tape to attach parts that were hard to attach with the super glue. For keyshot rendering I used gold and gemstones for the hat/crown to represent royalty. And then for the base I used brushed on paint and metallic paint.




No comments:

Post a Comment