Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Elias Perez - 3D Printing

Concept:
    The focus I was trying to make with this model was to create a small figure to lighten up my desk at home and I recently found a love for adventure based video games and decided to follow the classic trope of the hero who pulls the sword from the legendary stone. I was inspired by many different swords from franchises that I adore such as the Legend of Zelda's Master Sword, Zabuza's Executioner Blade from Naruto, as well as a traditional British Sword. I used the Master Sword as reference for the hilt using the spiraling shapes that stack on top of each other for the main design, I was focused on creating a dull like blade to give a sense of use and heavy weight alongside the brutal idea of a large slab of metal on a handle coming for you.

Master Sword Hilt (Reference)

Executioner's Blade(Reference)

British Sword(Reference)

Techniques:

    The techniques used for the creation of the model included the use of the Snapping Tools to the grid as well as the center of objects, Rotating, BooleanUnion, Linear Dimensions, Analyzing of Edges, and Scale commands. When building the model I would make sure to snap the beginning shape to the grid so as to make an even circle for the cylinder's base as I knew I would be making multiple and different sized shapes and stacking them on one another and then combining them with the use of BooleanUnion to create the hilt. The use layers were meant not to separate the objects but rather to be used to hide them when I needed to use the center snap tool to create an evenly stacked object and truly choose the center of the object that I needed. Rotating played a big part as I began working with the sword upwards and then rotated it 180 degrees and then angled it to my liking so that I could work on the hilt, and the handle of the sword as well as get the ominous angle of the sword being embedded in stone. The stone was made to serve as my platform and base for the object as well so that it will stand up on its own on my desk. The Dimensions of the object are about an inch off of the requirements but I found that it was a necessary amount considering the sword is just generally long and the base high, I scaled it down from it's original size to meet these requirements. 

Ghosted Image of layers and the Final Grouping

Showing the Analysis of the Edges

Measurements: 
    The required measurements for this object were meant to be 4 in. width, 5 in. length, and 6 in. height however I exceeded these each by 1 in. as I saw it necessary to get the length of the executioner blade as long as it could be as that is part of the menacing factor. The hilt adds length as well as the base so I treated each as separate objects. I edited the dimensions of the world as it began in millimeters and then used the Linear Dimension from the Dimensions drop down box to show the measurements on the grid plane. 
Measurements of Model(Different Color Used for Emphasis of Text)
Materials:
    The materials I hope to use are just a nice wood that can be painted as I wanted to paint the model by hand as well as be able to engrave into it physically with a human touch rather than have the printer do all the work. I plan on carving an insignia into the rock so as to create a sense of a kingdom elsewhere or show importance of the blade. I am going to carve into the handle of the blade so that it is not entirely just a rounded cylinder so that I may later wrap a ribbon into the crevices of the cut to create a more realistic feel of a grip to the blade. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment