Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Scott Choi - 3D Print Fall 2017

For this project, I decided to use my castle model from the previous assignment to 3D print. I thought the design would be a fun one to print out, and it had a good base to begin with.



Because the model had to be scaled down to fit a 4x4x6 dimension limit, I decided to make a few minor changes to ensure that it would print without any problems. First, I got rid of the pipes surrounding the tower altogether. Being very thin, they posed printing issues so I removed them. Secondly, the ring surrounding the base and the connecting rods were beefed up a little bit to make sure it wasn't too thin to be printed properly. Once this was done, I exported the model as an .STL file and took it to the UTD Maker Space to be 3D printed.




My model was printed using ABS-M30 FDM thermoplastic. Because the original render included shiny metal, glass and carbon fiber materials that couldn't be translated to the printed piece, I re-rendered the model in keyshot using paint and plastic materials to make it look more like the real thing. I used acrylic and spray paint to add the colors to the final printed model.
























No comments:

Post a Comment