Monday, October 9, 2017

Elizabeth Garvey - 3D print fox

Concept
I wanted to make a figurine loosely based on designs based on a 3d game I used to play as a kid,  Space Station Silicon Valley. The creature specifically I chose to model was a Fox.  I liked the idea of using simple shapes to create animal figures.
Techniques:
For this project I modeled the project in Rhino, and then used basic shapes to create the model. I noticed the original N64 version also is made of many different simple shapes. I checked the model for naked edges to make sure that it was water tight. I had to convert the file to an .stl file so it would print. I also had to reduce the number of polygons in Rhino , because at first it was causing the computer at the 3d printing lab to crash. The model did not come out perfect, because the support beams on the moutn and nose would not come off!







Materials:
The materials were hobby grade 3d printing plastic filaments, and I printed this at the tech store at UTDallas. I will probably do a reprint, because it didnot come out as smoothe as I originally wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment