Monday, October 9, 2017

Clara Crossland: 3D Print Flower - Fall 2017

Concept
I wanted to build something other than this flower at first but when I was starting to reach the end of the building process I saw that it wasn't what I was hoping it would be. But instead of scraping the whole thing I decided to keep going with this pretty design that was coming out. I really liked the shape the bulb at the top was taking. It started looking so much like a tulip that i decided to make it even fuller. So the very last version of this project ended up being a hollow flower.


Techniques
The technique I used on both parts was the rotation tool. For the stem I used a small rectangle and carved out the notches where I wanted the engravings to be. For the bulb I hand drew the shape I wanted one side to be then rotated it 360 degrees in order for the shape to take place. Both the stem and the bulb had a lot of extra pieces inside them so i easily took them out to clean up the figure. I also used the Boolean tool to combine the bulb and the stem to be one in order to make it water-tight.




Materials
The materials I wanted for this figure was a really simple plastic. I the very basic plastic material in Keyshot so it would be easy to decorate once it was made. The materials that the physical project is made out of are the basic 3D printing materials. It is a little rugged and not as shiny as I would have hoped but the project came out very smooth with no errors.







No comments:

Post a Comment