Monday, October 30, 2017

Taylor Volquardsen: Week 10 Cardboard Ball

Concept:
My original idea was to create a boar's skull. I had seen things like longhorn skulls and elephant heads, but not a boar. The idea for a boar, in particular, came from the movie Princess Mononoke. I thought it would be fun to work with the tusks.

Technique:
I originally pulled a few different models from the digital databank. I had the idea of taking one of the animal skulls and modifying it to look like a boar's. I decided that I didn't have the time to do the sort of work that would have required, so instead, I took the cat skull model, lowered the polycount, and reworked the wireframe into something that would be easier to cut in Pepakura. As I started putting together the cardboard pieces of the skull, I realized some of the pieces came out smaller than I thought they would, making them hard to manipulate and I had some trouble getting some of the pieces to fit right. In the end, I ended up editing the design some and removed the complicated eye socket structure to aid in construction.

Materials:
Cardboard, and eventually sealant and acrylic paint

No comments:

Post a Comment