Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Hannah Barnes - 3D Print Fall 2017

Concept:

Image result for metal washer bowl

I chose to recreate the above basket in a 3D print. I loved the use of circles of varying sizes and thickness in order to create a cohesive object. It's both beautiful and functional, and it creates an awesome shadow when held up to the light.




Technique:

I modeled this in Rhino. I blocked out my design by creating a solid bowl shape. I then created the generic washer shape of a cylinder cut out of cylinder. Using this shape, I recreated the bowl shape by copying/pasting and reorienting each cylinder. I varied the thickness and size of each cylinder layer.

Originally, I did not make each layer of the basket out of the same size cylinder. Instead, I created an asymmetrical design with no order to it. However, I forgot to ensure my original cylinder was a solid polysurface, so I had to scrap this design and recreate it. The second time around, I created a more symmetrical design. I ended up liking the symmetry more than the asymmetrical design.



Materials:


The source design that I used as inspiration was made of metal washers. I wanted to imitate that in my print. I used a brownish-orange metal for my material in Keyshot. For the actual 3D print, I finished the print in Gesso and sprayed it with bronze spraypaint to give the print a metal look.








No comments:

Post a Comment