Monday, December 5, 2016

Melanie Estes: Week 11 LaserEngraving


    I originally wanted to work with texture from knitting by tracing the outlines of the knotted yarn onto the board. I love the look of stockinette style knitting. I wanted to make an effect where the design looked whole from a distance, but the detail did not show through until you look up close.  As I worked out a design, I looked through my pictures on my phone and saw a crochet chart for some edging. Crochet and knitting charts use symbols to teach a pattern visually.
Crochet Chart Example

 Crochet charts are  visual representations closer to what the finished product will look like compared to the written explanation that uses abbreviations and specialized language.

Written Crochet Pattern Example
     
     Crochet charts are especially common with radial designs, flowers, and edging. 
     I used all curves to trace and expand on designs I found while searching. The large flower on the right was inspired by this image. I continued the pattern around the center to create the full rotation of petals. The large flower on the left is from this beautiful pattern. The vine extending up from the bottom of the board is from this image. The butterfly and smaller flower on the bottom right are from these links.

Pattern in Rhino: Screenshot

I arranged the images to extend past the edge rather than shrinking to fit inside. There was no one focus of the piece. The larger flowers are placed at about the point when the ends of the board start curving. Because the lines are made with curves, it could be engraved at a deep level. However, there were so many lines that rastering at full black could be quicker than engraving. Additionally, the laser could burn the wood when it goes over the small densely packed areas so many times.


In Progress Image of the Engraving

     Because the lines look so delicate, I liked how the board looked naturally without any stain or paint. I tested painting in some of the pits, but adding color took away from the line work. I sealed it with a few coats of satin finish polyurethane. 



Closeup of Board

Finished

No comments:

Post a Comment