Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Michael Hosler- Laser cut box

Concept- For the box I decided that I should make something I would use all of the time and that my trading cards needed to be organized. So I wanted to create a box that would safely house all of my Magic: The Gathering cards in an easy to access manner. However, I didn't just want to make a box and throw all of my cards into it, so I compartmentalized it into  6 drawers organized by the color of the cards and placed the 6 drawers inside of a larger housing.


Methods- I used Rhino for just about everything pertaining to this project after I got my pattern from the make a box site. after importing both the box pattern and the mana symbols from pdf format, I arranged the pieces on a 2' x 4' reference layer and used a simple engrave to outline the symbols on the face of each drawer and used inside cuts to add detail. After deciding that doing the same along he sides of the larger box may get monotonous, I decided I would simply cut out the mana symbols individually and glue them to the outside.




After cutting, I used Carpenter's glue on each joint to give the box and drawer structural integrity and assembled it.








After assembly, I sanded the outside of the large box and applied a few coats of a Pecan stain to make the engravings stand out more and then applied only 1 coat of a urethane to give a sort of rough sheen to the whole box.







No comments:

Post a Comment