Monday, December 5, 2016

Travis Fowler : Independent study wrap-up Fall 2016


Serial Slice

Concept: Sticking to this semester's theme, I  decided to explore serial slicing in grasshopper. Rather than using a model as the basis of my serial slice, I used data from grasshopper!

Techniques: 
The techniques I used to extract the data are fairly simple. I created a box that would become the bounding box for my model and then filled that box with a set of randomly generated points. 

These points' proximity to one another, in combination with a controllable threshold for how close the points have to be to "blob" together, were used to create the form in digital space. From there, I used a range of planes to intersect the digital form and extracted the contours from the intersection of the plane and the form. 

I chose to break up the form into groups so I could assemble the work without the use of dowel rods or reference lines.


Materials: For the actual implementation of the serial data, I chose a thin birch wood to keep a natural tone while maintaining the serial signature of the data.


To finish the project, I stained the wood, added accents to the edges of select contours and sealed the work with and acrylic spray.




Other:
In my effort to increase my understanding of grasshopper, I began to scour youtube for videos explaining certain aspects and their underlying concepts.

I found that many of the best videos I found were from designers and educators in the field. To the end of becoming both a designer and educator myself, I decided to document and tutorialize a fundamental grasshopper idea: the attractor.

https://youtu.be/Bqxvvz9xjGo

While this is my first tutorial, I feel as though it communicates effectively what an attractor is and some of the applications of attractors in grasshopper.


Application of attractors:
I worked with grasshopper, and illustrator/photoshop, to take an image and interpret the data to be used as a stencil for spray-painting.






No comments:

Post a Comment