Saturday, December 3, 2016

Brandon Wehenkel: Box Laser Engraving



Rhino


Inspiration (Father's Box)


Concept:
My mother loves boxes so I decided to make a tiny chest for her to put her belongings.  My father has one on his nightstand that my mother had created, so I wanted to make one of similar size for her.  My idea was to make a box with a lid that opens with hinges.  She said she wanted to paint it.


Box Interior (Final)


Modeling Techniques:
I used box designer to make a box with measurements of 9x5x5 with a thickness of .1875".  I uploaded the pdf onto Rhino.  I used split to cut a line onto the box shapes to create my opening.  I changed that to blue.  Then I used rectangles and lines to make my design.  I used hatch, raster, high, medium, and low engraving colors as well.  My design is quite simplistic because I just wanted to add some texture to the box.
When I assembled the box pieces I got a paintbrush and brushed wood glue on the interior ridges and on the interior crack of the box.


Front/Back and Side Designs


Materials:
2'x4'x1/4" Birch Plywood although the actual thickness of the wood was 3/16"(0.1875), 2x hinges, 8x screws & washers, Wood Glue, Brush

No comments:

Post a Comment