Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Michael Hosler- Laser Engraving Board

Concept- In keeping with my love for geometrical patterns, I decided to engrave one onto a Longboard. but slapping a geometric pattern in a circle is totally lame, so I started to chop it up and move pieces of it around and play with different sizes to see what I found most appealing. these were a few of my ideas, along with the original design:






































Methods- In making the original design, I generated a few simple shapes and then used polar arrays to rotate and copy the shapes until I had a really interesting pattern. then I sliced it in half and played with sliding the halves further apart and mirroring them over the center of my reference layer. After cutting my first board, it grew legs and walked away so I was forced to start again. After I cut the second board, I applied just a single layer of blue stain to give it a slight blue tint, then used paint to fill in the pattern itself with a bright green hue. While wiping away the paint, I noticed that leaving just a little bit on the surface of the board blended really nicely with the stain, so I started wiping less paint off and trying to get the colors to really mesh. After the coloring was done and everything was dry, I applied grip tape to the top of the board to finish.




No comments:

Post a Comment