Friday, December 2, 2016

Niveda Subramanian: Box Project - Winnie The Pooh Trinket

Box Design 1

Box Design 2

Box Design 3

Box Design 4

Box Design 5
Box Design 4 Modified on Illustrator

Rhino File

Concept:

For my box project, I decided to create a Winnie The Pooh Trinket for my baby cousin. Everything I have created so far in Digital Fabrications has been for myself, so I decided to make this project for my cousin. My cousin, Naishal, really likes Winnie The Pooh, and so I decided to make that the theme of my box. I added a lot more to my box then just what was laser engraved. I painted two of the pieces, and I stenciled out my character designs on craft paper and glued it on. I think that my cousin will really like this box, and I made it so that he can also store some of his little action figures and toys inside. I hope that also when he grows older he can keep this as a decor item.


Process of Laser Engraving

Laser Engraved and Cut Box Pieces

Craft Paper for Box

Painted Box Design 4 (In the process)

Side View of Box

Top Angled View of Box

Box Opened

Technique:

For this project, I first sketched the Winnie The Pooh characters, and outlined and shaded them with a sharpie. I also used a black color pencil to enhance the shading. I did this because I wanted the shading to be prominent in the laser engraving. After this I took pictures of my drawings and edited them on Photoshop and Illustrator. Since I hand drew box design 4, I had to do a lot of editing for that on Photoshop. Next I transported these images into my Rhino Box File. I created a 5x5x5 box on Box Design, and then opened the file in Rhino. I had to change the color of the box accordingly to the laser engraving standards. My pictures were easy to format, but for my box design 4 I had to make sure the right parts were formatted to be outlined and cut out. Next I turned in my Rhino file to the fab lab, and got it laser engraved. I was happy with the way it turned out for the most part, but some I wasn't that satisfied with some aspects of it. This is when I decided to add the craft paper to my box. I used an exacto knife to stencil out my characters and the I glued them onto my box. Then on both the pieces that had carved out designs, I painted the design brown and outlined the designs with a lighter brown. After this I glued all of the pieces of my box together. Overall, I was very pleased with the final look of my box.


Materials:

To create and edit my designs I used Photoshop, Illustrator, and Rhino. Then for my wood I bought plywood at Hobby Lobby, and used the laser printer in the FabLab to get my box engraved. While designing my box, I used craft paper from Michael's, an exacto knife, brown acrylic paint, and glue to put my box together.

No comments:

Post a Comment