Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sarah Roberson: Box




Concept:
So my concept was based on an artist trading card that I drew for a drawing class I took a while back. I made the card to look like somewhat of a puzzle piece because I absolutely love puzzles. So this was an ink and pencil drawing which I translated into Rhino. This was a difficult process because I had to make sure it wasn't too thin in the middle. I was originally going to have all of it have an inner cut, but then changed it to where only parts of it are cut and the rest of it was engraved.

Technique:
So I used a Box Designer website to get the dimensions. I set my dimensions to be 4 inches wide, 6 inches deep and 6 inches in height. Using the generator and the dimensions, it created the box for me and all I had to do was put it inside Rhino and set the design to the correct layers. I then created the design using the polyline tool and basically drew all of the lines inside and also set the designs using the red for the deep engrave and the blue for the inner cut. Once I got the pieces cut, I then used Loctite superglue to glue all of the pieces together. The only problem I ran into was that a few of the pieces were a tiny bit warped so it made it somewhat hard to put it together, but I managed.



Materials:
0.198 inch plywood
Loc Tight Superglue
Laser Cutter
Box generator


No comments:

Post a Comment