Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Michael Hosler- 3D Scanned Object

Concept/Methods- Working with Chelsea and Kirsten, a clay sculpture graciously crafted by chelsea was scanned into the computer after much trial and error.  Once the file was scanned, it ent through many iterations before becoming what it is now:














This was the first time the scan went through, but as you can see, it looks like a grenade went off at his feet and ripped through his poor little head... after quite some time trying to save it, it was clear it wasn't going to work out between us, so the group met back up to get a better quality scan to work with! This one was easier to work with, but we had an issue where Rapidworks kind of puked on us because of reasons...













So after we got this one, things went a bit more smoothly, but I still had trouble figuring out how to fix all the little issues without reducing the poly count too low and distorting him because i have a problem leaving even the tiniest flaw. luckily for me, just as I was about to give up on it, I encountered a friend in the lab who showed me how to re-topologize the model using reference curves in Mudbox. After this, though, something in the geometry decided that to fix him, it needed to add holes.,.













By this point, time was of the essence, so I took a step back from my frustration and figured I could approach this project from a different conceptual perspective from here on out. so I offset the object to give the holes thickness and in Keyshot, found a brushed texture and then applied a rust coloring effect on the texture and put it in water to provide more context for his state of dissaray.















No comments:

Post a Comment