Monday, December 5, 2016

Melanie Estes: Week 15 Laser Cutting



     In an effort to make a decorative piece rather than a small functional box, I created a window flower box. The box itself is make with fingerjoints, and does not have a lid. Instead the back wall extends up to form the window, thanks to a suggestion from Griff. I etched detail on the window frame based on images of moulding from this website. I made picket fence boards to glue on the outside walls of the box and engraved small lines to add texture and wear basked on this wood texture. Six fit on the front and two on either side. I modeled the pieces in rhino with 1/4 inch thick pieces. I used boolean difference to form the fingerjoints. The final pattern was made from the outlines of these shapes.

Before Assembly


After Assembly
     I used almost a full sheet of 1/4" birch plywood to cut out all of the the pieces. I used simple wood glue to attach the finger joints and to place the fence pieces. I used two coats of polyurethane on the entire box and painted the fence pieces while. I sanded off the shine on the white paint to add to the texture. I bought a metal handle and glued it centered on the front. I took a large sheet of Styrofoam and cut it into two pieces that fix inside the box. I forced bamboo skewers through the two sheets to connect them together. I used four different types of artificial flowers. All of them were cut shorter and separated, and then the stems were forced into the Styrofoam. I glued some extra leaves around the edges of the box.


With Styrofoam

Bottom

Back

Finished

No comments:

Post a Comment