Sunday, March 8, 2020

Isaac Wieland: Render Passes

Concept: My model is an adaptation from my 3D Print project. I started with the same radial symmetry focus but created 3 layers of struts instead of 1. I wanted to keep the facets fairly visible on the model and wanted textures that could highlight them. I also wanted the object to have a relatively simple outer edge, but get more and more complex as your eyes are drawn towards the center.


Procedure: I used the same design process as my 3D print project for the model, but layered 3 sets of struts instead of 1. I also chose not to wireframe the design, and only used one pass of Catmull Clark. for the passes, I mainly used Shadow, Diffuse, Occlusion, Reflection, and a light and dark specular pass. I made one metallic render and one glass render. For the metallic render I focused mainly on both specular passes, as well as the occlusion pass. For the glass render, I focused mainly on the reflection and diffuse passes.

Materials: The metallic render was mainly built up of purple anodized aluminum, with polished chrome and black metallic paint for the specular passes. This was done to create a metal surface with multiple different reflection methods on it. The glass render was an emerald gemstone base and green solid glass to fill in the form and color more. Metallic paints were used for the specular passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment