Sunday, March 8, 2020

Hayden Staples: Project 4 The Light of Ra

Concept

When I started out with this assignment, I wanted to make a very generic light saber, and I actually built a finished model at the time. However I did not think that it showed enough talent and so I went back to the drawing board and decided I wanted to do something with Mythology. Tailing off of the idea of light I chose to make my flashlight look like an Egyptian relic to their Sun God Ra. I kept some of the original elements of my Light saber, but it was pretty much an overhaul.
Process
I kept the repeating studs that go around the Lightsaber, and turned them into gems, and but I deleted the black geometry and the second ring of studs. I made these studs using array polar. For the new grooves along the bottom, I made a long rectangular prism, chamfered the edges to be more triangular and then I filleted the edges. For the exhaust Vents, I took a long rectangle, polar arrayed it and made three different rotations of that geometry. Then I used Boolean difference to make the holes. The hieroglyphics were definitely the hardest part about this assignment. I imported an image plane to copy the general shape of Ra and his eye. Then I projected that curve onto the flashlight, and using grasshopper, I adjusted the radius of the pipe that would overlap the curve. Once I got the pipe made, I used Boolean difference and the hieroglyph was engraved in the sleeve. The largest problem I encountered was the piping process because it would sometimes create naked edges if the curve cut too sharply in a certain location. For the Sun engraving on the back, I made a circle curve and using the line tool and polar array I copied the suns rays around the circle. I used the same process to engrave it into the back. If I had a bad engraving I would have to revolve the profile of the flashlight and start over from the beginning because the undo function would sometimes malfunction.

Materials
For my Materials, I wanted it to look like an Egyptian treasure. I gave the grooves along the bottom a clear diamond material, and I made the three different gem layers, ruby, sapphire and emerald. The sleeve is a 24 karat gold. I decided to make the carvings bright red because it gives the piece a regal effect. Specifically for Keyshot, I imported a cylinder object and put it inside of the flashlight. I turned this object into an ambient light and cranked up its intensity to look like the flashlight was glowing with power.


No comments:

Post a Comment