Monday, May 4, 2020

Andrew Rowan: Architectonic Lamp


Concept: This lamp is the product of watching science fiction movies while quarantined and trying to see how far I could distort lofts in rhino. The original shape is tow ellipse rotated around each and scaled slightly that I lofted to the edge of breaking. I took this experiment file and modeled a space ship that could pass for a lamp.


Process: The body is mostly comprised of careful lofts and edge fillets. There is a place to press fit an e27 light fixture for use with an rgb smart bulb. I took that model and created the slices using project and contour. I then used the pipes method by automating it in grasshopper. Once I had the final slices I used massive unroll and make2d to get my layouts. Then I exported the file as an obj file and took it into blender where I textured and applied materials. I did the lighting and rendering in blender as well.


Materials: For the vertical slices I used a wood texture the color of oiled wood because that is what the lamp would be made of. The horizontal textures are a very dark grey representing stained or painted wood. All of the edges have a dark brown applied to them to mimic the burn of a laser when cutting. Overall I am quite happy with the look and will probably make this lamp when I can get to a laser again.


No comments:

Post a Comment