Monday, May 4, 2020

Imran Shakoor: Book Stack Lamp (Architectonic Lamp)

Concept: The concept here was to make a lamp that was not symmetrical whilst still being able to get a good glow that hit all parts of the lamp. In addition, I wanted to make something that I would put in my own room that could sit on my desk or side table. Lastly, I was thinking about some functionality, and for this project the the most functional thing I could turn a lamp into was some sort of shelf or cubby with a cutout in it, but the issue was the lamp would have had to have been quite large for a significant amount of cutout space. Combining all those ideas, I came up with the idea of a stack of books, and this way I could even stack books on this lamp, and they would not look messy or out of place.

Process: First I created a shape of a hardcover book. It was just a rectangle but I added slightly wider covers to the front and back and a curved spine. I then took this book and resized it a couple different times and stacked each iteration on top of each other. Lastly, I took all of the books as one, rotated the stack, made it smaller, and subtracted it from the middle to make the hole. If I had to do it again, I would probably make the hole larger for more light to spread through the model. I used the section function to make lines where ever there was a front and back cover and 3 lines in between them for each book. Lastly, I used the pipe method to create the notches.

Materials: For the materials I just used Maple Wood Satin because it was a nice shade of wood, and allowed the light to reflect around it quite nicely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment