Friday, May 1, 2020

Jacob Sears - Laser Cut/ Engraved Boxes

Laser Cut Boxes

Concept:

For my boxes I wanted something that would be useful to me on a regular basis rather than something decorative that I'd end up putting in a closet. I like to paint a lot and i typically use oil paints and because of that i need various different mediums and solvents to get certain paint qualities, so i wanted to make a tray that could hold all of my solvent jars and brushes in one place without me having to worry about getting paint a chemicals all over stuff. As for my other box i wanted something that would be good for storing something. unfortunately i have a bit of a nasty coffee addiction to the point that i roast my own coffee beans and after roasting they need to sit out a few days to degas before they can be used to make coffee. Because of this i thought it would be nice to have a box that would be breathable but still sealed to put all my freshly roasted beans in while they wait to be stored in more airtight containers.

Process:

For my tray i decided to use maker case so i could see what id be making a bit better as i wasn't technically making a box. To make it i chose the polygon box and cranked up the side number to 20 and then from there just made the "box" wider and much shorter. After importing it into rhino i added some decorative circle engravings to give it a sort of natural looking pattern. For my coffee box i used festiboxes and went with the rounded box with flex partly because it looked really cool and also because of the way the flex was done it would allow it to be a little more breathe-able. And after i put it in rhino i took a couple of vectors i made in figma, converted them to dxf files and used them to decorate the box with coffee themed patterns and iconography.




  
Materials:

As for materials, for my tray i would like to use either mdf or some sort of nice wood thats then sealed/ treated to resist being stained by oil paints. And for my coffee bean container i would choose to use an opaque acrylic because it'd be easy to clean, might handle the flex aspect a little better than just plain wood and because coffee beans need to be kept more or less in the dark to prevent degradation.

No comments:

Post a Comment