Sunday, May 3, 2020

Tanaya Kumar Box Project



Concept: For my box I wanted to create designs that have a mystical feel and has the moon and nature incorporated in it. I wanted my designs to have curvlinear shapes with swirly patterns that flowed together. The illustrations remind me of tarot cards because of all the symbols made by various shapes and the enchanting design. I wanted to create harmonious designs that have some sense of repitition and a common pattern. I really like night time and I wanted to include the ever changing and dynamic phases of the moon.


Process: I used adobe illustrator to draw my designs and I used the pen tool and the rounded pen tool to draw most of my designs. This was my first time thoroughly using Illustrator to create deisigns of my own so it was a bit of an explorative and lengthy process that had a learning curve and required me to figure out how to work with the application. For my top and bottom pieces I incorporated a crescent moon with a flowy ocean like design on the bottom as well as added spiral and some diamond stars. For the sides of the box I started with a full moon with a swirl in it and below it I repeated some sequences that make it look like a grassy field. I wanted to over exaggerate the size of the moon in my designs to create a feeling of wonder and fantasy. For the second side I created a design that resembled the mountains and added a waxing moon phase along with a swirl pattern inside the moon. For the third side I added some swirls to represent gusts of wind and some stars as well as a wavy streak in the sky. For the fourth side I created a design representing trees and used the same waning moon. For the last side I created a crescent moon over a design representing the sea. I then opened up my files in rhino and extruded all teh surfaces while going in with Boolean Curves to fix my curves. Then I joined the box together.



Materials: For the material I used a deep pinkish brown color to make the box look rustic to contrast with the magical designs.The brown rustic color also compliments the aspects of nature depicted on the box. I kept the glossiness high for an interesting effect








No comments:

Post a Comment