Sunday, May 3, 2020

Ivy Skross: FlatFab

Concept:


For my Flatfab organic structure, I used seaweed and coral as my inspiration. In order to make my organism look like it was flowing underwater, I took a more freeform approach to drawing the tendrils. I wanted this piece to look like it could be a backdrop in a theatre performance of some kind.

Techniques:


I made the model in Flatfab. I drew each layer and then connected them by creating more branches of the sea plant. I tried to make the branches free-flowing and in many different directions in order to give it the appearance of being underwater. The organic shapes and asymmetry also give it the appearance of being a living organism. In rhino, I created a spotlight to add lighting and then rendered it.

Materials:

In Rhino, I used multiple colors of shiny plastic to give it the appearance I wanted. I used a variety of different green and bluish shades for the color scheme. If this were to be brought into the real world, I would love to see it made out of powder-coated metal sheets.



No comments:

Post a Comment