Monday, May 4, 2020

Ivy Skross: Box Project



Concept:

This box was based on images I found of open wasp nests and close-ups of plant leaves. I chose an octagonal shape for my box because I knew that I wanted plenty of sides to work with so I could create as many shapes as possible for the shadow effect on the inside. The shape is also a reference to the wasp nest photos I was looking at for inspiration. The idea is that if there was a light in the box or shining on the outside of the box it could create some cool shadows. 


Technique:

I used MakerCase to pick the box shape because I found it to be quick and easy for the simple shape I had already decided on. I then took that file into Rhino to format it for laser cutting and add the cuts for the design. I made the designs with the control point curve tool and to make it seem organic I imagined the shapes as continents that drifted apart as I did the layout for the cuts. After that was done, I fit the box together and rendered it.


Materials:

I decided to use wood materials for the render of my box. If I were to ever laser cut this project after quarantine, I would probably use wood and stain it so, I figured that material would be best for my render. The walls and top are polished Bubinga wood and the bottom is polished Brazilian oak wood. I made the bottom a lighter wood so that you could see the shadows produced by the designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment