Friday, May 1, 2020

Bayang Flores: Box Project


For my box project I used Boxes.py to create a box with the "Integrated Hinge Box" base. I figured it would be a convenient place to keep small trinkets like lip balm, a pocket knife, an airpods case, etc.

I made it to be 100mm x 100mm x 100mm, so it would be small enough to keep on your desk or in a cabinet or drawer. Then I added design elements created with curves, lines, and the array polar command in Rhino.

For the actual design itself, I wanted to add elements that reminded me of the Philippines since quarantine has me homesick to see my parents. The sun is the Philippine sun with eight rays sticking out and three stars to represent each of the major islands. I  meant for the stars to be on the side faces, the suns to be on the front and back, and for the flower to be the top cover. The flower itself is a simplified sampaguita, the Philippine national flower.


If we still had access to the laser cutter, this would have been a joy to have and create. Making this out of a light plywould would probably be best, if not some stiffer type of cardboard. Given the chance I would have liked to have painted it red.

No comments:

Post a Comment