Monday, May 4, 2020

Imran Shakoor: Butterfly Shroud Lantern (Flashlight Sleeve)

Concept: The concept to begin was to create a functioning model that made it easy to read in the dark. Instead of holding the flashlight in one hand and a book in the other, I realized with a small lantern and a flashlight's portability, combined I would be able to create what I need. The design aspect was inspired by the gun barrel's with vented Shroud's. The idea dawned on me when I was listening to the AIRHOLEZ by WestsideGunn. Ultimately the holes were a perfect way to let the light out, and the shape was similar to a flashlights with its cylindrical style, that I could create a half sleeve for the flashlight to rest in. I also wanted a way to make it so you could control how much let you let out, So I thought of the design you see in the bottom pictures, where you can twist the inner portion or raise it, to cover the holes.


Process: The process began with measuring the dimensions of the flashlight. Then I made a simple cylinder sleeve for the flashlight, and cut the top half away. from there I created the large outer middle cylinder and used another cylinder to boolean difference it so it would become hollow. In order to create the inner piece, I made a cylinder that fit within the bigger one, and boolean differenced a cylinder out of that one, to make it hollow as well. I then added the top small small cylinder to give it that symmetrical look. That was the basics of the shape. In order to make the holes, I knew I wanted to do something with butterflies because that idea was on my mind for a while. However, I knew the shape had to be simple, so I came up with the one that you see through interpolating points. I then projected the shape on to the surface of the cylinders and from there it was just a series of patching the curves, and offsetting them, and then subtracting them from the cylinder. For the little gun design at the bottom, I interpolated points over an outline of a gun, and added a cylinder to give it the 3D look, and bended it around the bottom handle cylinder.



Materials: For the materials I just used a couple of different plastics. I liked the semi see through purple because it gave it a sheik look and would let a nice dark shade of light when in the closed state. I chose the white textured plastic because it gives it a clean look and is simple for the eye to look at. The same goes for the black model (I used "Tire"), and then for the completely see through one I used a transparent acrylic because it looked cool. 


3D printed Model: Overall I was happy with how the model turned out. It was a perfect fit, so the inner tube stayed tight and was adjustable without becoming loose. I did notice the more I moved it though, the looser it got and particles from the print came off, but for a 3d printed model I was very happy. The light bounces off of it nicely (putting a mirror inside I think would make it even better), and the butterfly shape that it makes with the light was perfect. Also, it is just the right size to carry around and fits in my hand quite nicely.





This model is definitely one of my favorites and will be staying on my desk!!







No comments:

Post a Comment