Monday, March 4, 2019

Anna Phengsakmueang Week 8: 3D Printing

Concept:
Pendant Inspiration
Inspired by an anime I previously watched, I thought of creating a crystal pendant similar to the main character's necklace. It was a light blue crystal with wings wrapped around it, both characteristics of which I am fond of. I also wanted to make sure to include a loop for another loop to attach to so that it can be added to a thin chain for an actual necklace. Rather than make it intricate, I preferred a more simpler design, so I chose to make the wings smaller and spread out rather than wrap around the crystal.

Process:
Ghosted Image Painted Black

To create the crystal, first I made a pyramid and laid it down onto its side. Then, I made a truncated pyramid, laid it on its side, rotated it so that the base lines of the truncated pyramid were parallel to the base lines of the pyramid using several perspective windows and then scaled it so that the bases of the two pyramids would line up together. I wanted to also create a base for the crystal to attach to the part that is connected to the loop for a necklace to go through, so I made a duplicate of the truncated pyramid, scaled it to be a bit larger than the original and used the trim tool to just keep a small portion of the pyramid for the base of the attachment to the loop. To create the part where the crystal would attach to a loop for a necklace, I duplicated the small truncated pyramid I previously made and scaled it to be larger. Throughout making the crystal, I made sure that the bottom edge of the crystal was touching the ground while also scaling the larger portion of the attachment to barely touch it as well. I also ensured to center each piece according to the center of the pyramid half of the crystal shape. After that, I proceeded to merge the two pyramids together using the "Boolean2Objects" command, so that I would get a single crystal as the result to place in a separate layer for rendering. Then I continued to work on the attachment portion of the crystal by using a torus for the loop that the necklace attaches to. To attach the loop to the base of the attachment to the crystal, I used the "Boolean2Objects" command. To enhance the look of the crystal pendant, I deformed a sphere and duplicated five more of it, to create the rings that are on the loop which were each attached using the same command. When I was done creating the general model of the pendant, I separated each portion into layers and checked for any naked edges.

No Naked Edges


Materials:
Layered
For the materials, I kept it fairly simple. Going off of the inspiration of my design, I went with sapphire for the crystal in KeyShot, and aluminum for the loop attachment. I only used two layers since the pendant comes in two pieces. To add a bit more blue to the crystal itself, I applied a color to the material as well. For the actual print, I chose to get it printed in white, so that I can paint it with metallic acrylic paint later on. Another reason for my choice was so that the colors would show off a bit more on a white background rather than a black one.
KeyShot Rendering
Crystal Pendant 3D Print



No comments:

Post a Comment