Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Ryland Smith Week 11 FlatFab

Concept: The medium flat fab presents, has a lightness to it in its planar segmented forms in 3-d space. In order to harmonize with the material, I sought to create a form that had a lightness to it, thus the form I sought had a flight in mind. I would create the form of a snake that could fly. By shaping the pieces to appear to flow organically and directionally, the form appears to have movement as if it might be in flight although standing still. The thinness of the body would allow it to appear airy pronouncing the lightness of the form.

FlatFab 

Process: Using FlatFab I created the body from using the pen tool. I created 2 perpendicular cross sections at the head. Then I made the head forms, top and bottom with the pen tool, and positioned them parallel to the body and on the cross sections. I then angled the headpieces inward. Following I created the wings top down by creating one side and reflecting it. Perpendicular to the wings I created pieces that would span them and then used a blend function across them.
Flat Pattern

Rhino Layered

Rhino Ghosted Black
Materials: In Key shot, I used Hard Shiny Plastic red for the head, I used Hard Shiny Plastic Black for the body and I used Hard Rough Plastic White for the wings. I chose these colors as the red reflects energy, power, and is ultimately eye-catching, like a phoenix, and like a cardinal. The body is black and sleek to complement the vibrant red and provide the body as well as the lithe nature of a snake. The wings have a bit of roughness to give them body but are white to reflect lightness and provide contrast to the black body. The Lazer cut prototype was in e-flute cardboard a light material good for rapid prototyping at a low cost.

Key Shot

Key Shot 2


E-flute cardboard model

No comments:

Post a Comment