Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Charlene van Zyl: Project 3 - Laser Cutting

Concept: When I searched for inspiration for this project, I looked through the gallery on FlatFab's website. Many of the projects there were animals and I really liked how they were able to create organic forms out of 2-D geometric shapes. After playing around in FlatFab, I decided to create a dog.



Techniques: I started by creating the dog's body and tail. I then went on to create a segment for the chest and a segment for the flanks, then used a blend to fill in the space in between. I added a front leg and a back leg, mirroring each of them to give the dog its four legs. For the head, I decided to use two mirrored shapes set at an angle to give the head a 3-D look. The two segments were joined by the ear piece and the neck.


Materials: I used e-flute cardboard for the project once it was cut out. In Keyshot, I decided to use brightly colored shiny metals, imagining that the sculpture would be displayed at a park.


No comments:

Post a Comment