Monday, March 4, 2019

Charlie Chang Week 8: 3D Print Midterm

Ghosted Layer shot
Concept: I wanted to see how much detail I could squeeze on a small print. I decided to make a ring, even though I am not a jewelry wearing person. I wanted a ring with protruding "gems", and I wanted them to be various sizes. Engagement rings were a source of inspiration, even if I didn't reference any specific pictures of them.

Ghosted shot
Techniques: I began this project by painstakingly creating cylinders and smaller cylinders to Boolean difference them. After several attempts at this, I discovered the Tube tool, and the work got easier. After my base for the ring was made, I created spheres with the solids tool and places them symmetrically on the ring, making sure to embed them into the surface. I then joined the spheres to the base and made them all one layer, which I now regret, since I could have separated them by layer and made the spheres a different material. I then wanted more intricate details on the inner part of the ring, so I created a hexagon, copied a mirror version of it and flipped it upside down, and Boolean differenced both the right side up and upside down shapes into the ring. This created a set of cuts into the ring that came out nicely when 3D printed.

Shot 1 rendered
Materials: In Keyshot, I used the 24k polished gold material. I didn't like the texture of the brushed gold or rough gold. I envisioned the ring to be made of gold in real life, even though most engagement rings tend to be more silver and diamond-like. For the printed version, I used black plastic from Makertree in FDM.

Shot 2 rendered

3D print

No comments:

Post a Comment