Monday, March 4, 2019

Kaylie Moore: Week 8 3D Print

Ghosted shot

Concept:
From the beginning of this project I wanted to create something that was both functional and abstract. One of my main ideas was a bowl or container of some sort for keys, change, and so one, as I often find myself forgetting where I put my keys. Instead of a more typical shallow bowl, however, I decided to make something that could act as an abstract sculpture as well, depending on how large I made it and what I decided to do with the finished product. I also wanted it to look somewhat abstract and organic, so most of my early models began as spheres or teardrops that I could then manipulate in different ways.

Ghosted layer shot

Techniques:
I began my designs with a sphere, and manipulated the control points to create a shallow bowl. Once I had my bowl, I began to play around with the shape, rebuilding the surface as necessary as I worked with the control points. Over the course of a week or so, I created three separate models based on the original bowl, with varying levels of abstraction. I also experimented with adding holes, indentations, or patterns to the surface using booleans, but eventually decided to keep it simple. Once I had a model that I liked, I leveled the bottom of the bowl using another boolean to give it more stability. 

Keyshot rendering 1
Keyshot rendering 2


Materials:
In Keyshot, I decided to use the Midnight Storm Axalta Paint. The dark blue color, combined with the reflective material, made the bowl look somewhat reminiscent of an inverted wave, which fit the more abstract, organic look I was aiming for with this project. I painted the final print similarly, in shades of blue, adding lighter shades to the edges and ridges and darker shades to the interior.


3D Print




No comments:

Post a Comment