Monday, March 4, 2019

Nikki Chauhan: Week 8 3D Print

Concept

The idea for this project came from me deciding that I did not want to make jewelry for this project as I would not wear it nor did I have any friends or family that I could give a piece to. As such I decided that I wanted to create a box inspired by a gift box I was given years ago. This box was small and simple with the lid fitting exactly to the size of the box and ending flush on the sides.
Ghosted Black
Material w/ layer colors
No Naked Edges

Process

This project was not very easy for me and I had a lot of trouble with it throughout the whole thing but in the end it worked out. I started with watching videos on how to create and design boxes as well as remembered the practice in class over making planar curves and lofting. I started with an octagon curve and copied and paste that and scaled it a little bigger than the other one then extruded them upward and lofted the areas to bridge the gap. After a lot of trial and error of making bases and getting the decor piece to fit and fiddling with all the curves and surfaces to make sure there were no naked edges, I was finally ready to send my project to MakerTree.  Unfortunately despite having no naked edges, I believe due to my process in creating the pieces, Sean at MakerTree had a few issues making my piece ready to print but eventually got it to work and print.
KeyShot View 1
KeyShot View 2

Materials

For the materials, I chose to believe that if I had the capability to, I would get this box made as either a heavy plastic or metal box or possibly even just a really nice wood and have the decorative piece on top be made of glass or some sort of gem like material. I chose the colors of this solely on the purpose that I enjoy these colors and I like the way the materials look in KeyShot
Front
Top

No comments:

Post a Comment