Monday, March 4, 2019

Quinn Sherer: Project 2 3D Print

ghosted image 

frog drawings

Concept
  
My idea was to create and print a 3D model that resembled something drawn in my simple art style.  I went through a couple of designs, including a dog and a cat, but I was most satisfied with this lanky frog.
  
layered image
Process
  
The first part of the frog that I made was the body, which is a cylinder with the top and bottom edges filleted into a round capsule-type shape.  I made the feet out of ellipsoids cut in half, and used spheres for the hands, then connected them to the body using the pipe command.  The frog's head is a sphere that I shaped using control points.  I took the front half of the face and split it into two parts, then tilted them up or down a little bit to create the look of an open mouth.  For the eyes, I made small cylinders, filleted the edges, and flattened them to make them a little bit more narrow.


  
Materials
  
In Keyshot, I used the material called "Paint Matte Green" to cover the whole model.  I had it printed with green PLA material.  It stands about 4 inches tall, and the head and arms can rotate.  I have not decided if I want to smooth out the serial signature or not, but it is growing on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment