Sunday, March 3, 2019

Ryland Smith: Week 8 3D Print

Concept:  I pondered on the macabre. I had been looking at Memento Mori art when contemplating this piece. Death and life may be rather bleak. After seeing the fillet tool I thought that the tool would work well for a coffin. So I began making a coffin and to give it character I would add some stylized carve work. Perhaps the character of death isn't so grim or bleak but an expressive character that imprints on us all the joy of life.
Dimensions in inches

No Naked Edges

Ghosted Painted Black

Layered


Techniques: I knew from the start I wanted a uniform material choice, that I would use the white 3D print material and explore the space and interaction with the light it has. I created rectangular prisms and then booleaned2Objects them at the angles and positions to make the general shape of the coffin. I then outlined the coffin with polylines and scaled it up slightly to create the base of the coffin by extruding the shape and capping it to add dimensionality and weight at the bottom. I would boolean union this to ensure the objects were one. I then took cylinders and union them to the coffin to add more dimensionality, or holding points to carry the coffin. I then drew my character with polylines and extruded the object. Following, I booleaned2Objects the extruded character and the coffin to imprint the character in the coffin. I capped it to fill it and added a sphere in the bigger eye. Finally, I filleted the edges around the coffin and the skull character. I then added a hole by making a cylinder and boolean2objects so I might put a chain through it and add it to a key chain.

Render 1

Render 2


Materials: In keyshot I used soft rough plastic to simulate the 3d printing material. The 3d print material I ended up using was the PLA process. I left the final product untreated as I enjoy the serial signature and the way it functions as a monochrome object. Ultimately, the flat object corresponds with the bleak feeling I strive to evoke and add subtlety to the character.
Final Shot 1

Final Shot 2

Final Shot 3

   

No comments:

Post a Comment