Sunday, March 3, 2019

Charlene van Zyl: Week 8 Midterm

Concept:
I initially wanted to do an abstract piece for this project, but later wanted to do something with a concrete meaning. I really enjoy working with organic shapes in Rhino, so I wanted to model an animal. I decided on doing a cat for this project since my kitten had fallen asleep on my foot when I opened up Rhino to test around with models.



Techniques:
I used many of the techniques used in the duck tutorial for this project. I started off with a sphere for the body, manipulating the control points until I was satisfied with the shape. This process was repeated for the cat's head. I sculpted another sphere into an ear-like shape, trimmed it down the middle, and offset the surface to create the ears. Ellipsoids were used for the flanks, and spheres for the front paws. To create a flat bottom, I trimmed the lowest parts of the cat and capped the open shapes. I knew that I wanted my cat to look simplistic and minimal, so I used a single layer because there would only be one material.



Materials:
Since I went for minimalist look for my cat, I didn't want an organic surface for it, instead going for something sculpture-like. I eventually decided on a red-gold metallic texture, since the color also went well with the red plastic used for the 3D print.


No comments:

Post a Comment