Friday, March 15, 2019

Jesus Vela: Project 2 Week 8 3D Printing

Ghosted View and No Naked Edges

Concept

     In the context of shape, the design of this pendant is based off a geometric pattern I created in an earlier painting of mine. Materials were inspired from popular crystal pendants. The materials lend themselves well to my design considering how rectilinear it is. 


Layers

Techniques

     The gridsnap aid me achieve a symmetrical appearance in the pendant. I started by laying out  polylines based off the geometric pattern in my painting. Each polyline was assigned its own layer: Inner V, Hear, Outer V, and Periphery. Next I extruded each polyline to the same height. Making the triangular tops to each layer required that I use object snaps. Most joints were made by half-trimmed cylinders. One joint was made using the arc tool. I created a Boolean union to get rid of unnecessary lines between layers. When unified, naked edges were not apparent, but I did explode pendant only for create the layers image in this blog. I did not have to scale the pendant to be lesser than 4" in each dimension.


Opening Shot
Back View

Materials

     Crystal pendants are often made using a crystal and wire, but wood has also become a popular additive to pendants. Lighting was important to convey the aesthetic realism of the crystal pendant. Materials used in Keyshot for rendering the pendant include: Ginger Bronze, Glass Red, and Glass Clear. Brightness was increased to help distinguish the curves around the crystals. Refraction was also increased to help the crystals look realistic. During the actual 3D Print, I chose blue because of what was available at the location I printed at. Looking at the pendant physically helped me decided that the top edges of the pendant shouldn't be as tall as the rectangular base.


Printed Front View
Printed Side View

No comments:

Post a Comment