Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Kaylie Moore: Week 9 Laser Cutting

Concept:
While learning how to use FlatFab I made a series of practice models, mainly just a few abstract shapes and models of the heads of various animals. After I felt I was comfortable with FlatFab, I decided to adjust and expand one of those practice models, and decided to go with an elephant mostly just because I liked that model best.
FlatFab Model


Techniques:

Using FlatFab, I first created the head of the elephant, adding ears and experimenting with both separate and connected trunk pieces. I then created the body and connecting leg shape, duplicating the leg four times, flipping them across the X or Z axis, and rotating them to create enough stability to support the weight of the body and head without each leg being flat on the ground. To finish I exported it into Illustrator and made sure each part connected cleanly before exporting it into Rhino to clean up the cuts and format the layers properly.

Rhino file



Materials: 
I sent my file to the Machine Shop to be laser cut from a 24x48 in. piece of E-Flute cardboard. I didn't really like the look of the plain cardboard, so I then decided to add a thin layer of fiber paste for texture and spray painted it grey, adding a few details such as eyes with acrylic paints. In Keyshot I used very simple colors to go with the simple design and structure. I envisioned it placed as a large sculpture in a park.
Cardboard model
Painted model
KeyShot


No comments:

Post a Comment