Sunday, March 24, 2019

Quinn Sherer: Week 9 - Laser Cut


Concept
    
I went into this project without a solid idea in mind, and just started by messing around and trying out FlatFab.  After figuring out how the program worked, I made a couple more abstract designs, but decided I wanted to try a more concrete one.  I was inspired by the way a lot of cardboard sculptures look like skeletons, so I went with a dinosaur/dragon that would have the ribcage and spine pieces that I like going along its body.
   

Process
  
I drew the long face/neck/tail portion as the root piece, then started working off of that with the pelvis.  For parts like the ribs or tail, I made the first piece, then duplicated and shrunk it to the size I wanted for the last piece, and used the blend function to make a series of fitting shapes in between the two.  I contemplated having a higher number of spines on the tail because the smooth transition gave it a more interesting look, but I decided against it, mainly for ease of printing.
When I was satisfied with the design, I exported it to Illustrator to convert it into a DXF file, and then adjusted the file in Rhino until it was ready to be sent to the machine lab.


Materials
   
The pieces were laser cut from a 24x48" sheet of .06" E-Flute cardboard.  I was able to fit multiple sets on the sheet, since the pieces are all relatively small.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment