Monday, March 25, 2019

Jacob Hunwick: Project 3 - Laser Cutting

Concept: For my piece I wanted to make use of the lightness of the e-flute cardboard and decided to create a plane. In the end the piece turned out very sturdy, but too small to be able to glide. For the design of the construction I wanted the transition between the wings and the plane body to be seamless so I utilized the body cross sections to hold the wings on. Adding to the planes structural soundness are the 45 degree angled body cross sections which also give the plane more movement.

Process: Using FlatFab, I first created the large profile piece of the plane, then created the cross sections making up the body. Then I completed it with wings. For the process of getting the plane laser cut, first I exported the file as an .svg to illustrator, then as a .dxf to rhino. In rhino I made finishing touches. Next, I sent the file off to the machine shop and after a few days picked it up and assembled it.

Materials: For my laser cut I used e-flute cardboard. I think if I were to laser cut my piece again I would use the same cardboard because it is very light, except make the plane larger so it might be able to glide.

No comments:

Post a Comment