Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Jacob Hunwick: Week 8 3D print

Concept:
I have recently been studying the work of MC Escher and found inspiration for my first 3D printed object in his painting 'relativity' which depicts a cubist maze of hallways and staircases. For my model I wanted to create a theatre-set sized space using staircases similar to those in relativity.

To keep the composition balanced I left a walkway cutting across the model diagonally and made the shapes on either side of the walkway similar in size and shape, partly mirroring each other.
Since the stairs would be life size I also added a cylindrical recess in the floor creating a communal sitting area beneath the largest set of stairs.
Process: 
To create the numerous steps I used linear array on boxes then, I used boolean difference on a much larger box to get the stair shape. For the smaller curvilinear shapes I used cylinders and spheres and either joined or subtract then from the larger rectilinear shapes.

Boolean difference worked with all but one object combinations. For the smaller upright staircase the part that overlapped the base portion got cut out. In a future print I would correct this defect.
Materials:
For a material I chose a light woodgrain. I thought the sharp corners of the stairs and boxes would be countered by the curving lines created by wood-grain. The woodgrain lines also help move the eye around the composition and not focus on any one corner.

In the future I would like to CNC this model out of a light wood and stain it. The curving grain lines would help balance out the sharp corners.


No comments:

Post a Comment