Sunday, March 3, 2019

Twinkle Shah Week 8 Assignment 2 Pendant

Keyshot Main View of Pendant

3D Printed Pendant with Attached Chain


Concept:
At first, I tried playing  around in Rhino to see what I could come up with because I didn't have anything in mind. I didn't make anything that was worth printing in my opinion, so I tried to step away from Rhino for a bit and think about what I like. I own a lot of jewelry and really like wearing it, so I thought it would be a good idea to make something I could actually wear--perhaps a pendant that I could put on a necklace. I'm fond of astronomy, and an emblem that I feel attracted to is of the sun with the moon wrapped around it. I decided then that I'd make a pendant of this emblem.

Ghosted Image Painted Black Rhino

Process:
I started with a small sketch on paper, then I created a single curved line within a circle, to make the moon inside a circle. I turned both into pipes and I trimmed the excess part of the curve with the circle. I then joined the two. To create the sun's rays, I created a small, slender cone, oriented it onto the torus, and used ArrayPolar to duplicate it 3 times for some rays coming out of half the circle--making that part look like the sun. To add more interest to the moon's side, I created some small stars with the star tool, extruding them, and ArrayPolar. Then I used Boolean Difference to cut star shapes into the torus. 

All Views of Pendant in Rhino

Materials:

In Keyshot, the materials I used were Anodized Titanium Champagne Brushed 90%. I liked the delicate look it gave and I think it suited the celestial objects. The pendant was 3D printed in PLA Black at a bit under 2 in x 2 in x .13 in. I liked the black color for it as well, although I think it gave a very different vibe to the piece. Unfortunately, the engraved stars I had made with the Boolean Difference didn't turn out so well because they were so small. According to the man at MakerTree, this was because it was printed in PLA. He recommended that I choose FDM for more detail-oriented prints in the future. 


Keyshot Material Assignments

Keyshot Perspective View


No comments:

Post a Comment