Sunday, November 28, 2021

Akhil Mulukutla: Week 10 Skateboard Deck Laser Engraving

Concept:

For this project I decided to take inspiration from the movie Godzilla to create my design. I really like how the Godzilla (2014) movie poster looks so I recreated a version of it in Illustrator in my own style. I also took inspiration from Japanese Ukiyo-e art and the boxed letter technique to add a good bit of flair to the design. I plan to put this on my wall so I made it using a minimalistic style to have it follow my aesthetic.







Techniques:

To begin I used Illustrator to create the initial design. I used Illustrator mainly because I'm a lot more comfortable using the pen tool along with my drawing tablet to create designs. I then saved my design as a PNG with a transparent background. Once I had my design in place, I had to create the skateboard. I used Rhino and created my skateboard mainly using the cube and cylinder tools. Overall, I only used Boolean difference about twice as the shapes I needed were already available.






Material:

 

Finally, I took my model into Keyshot to render out the materials. For the Deck I used a light brown wood texture and use d a dark silver aluminum for the trucks. Just to be wild, I used a transparent red plastic texture to the wheels. For the engraving itself I used the PNG file and slapped it on the bottom of the deck as a label. I used a dark paint texture for the label to give it a slight sheen. My deck didn't really need any post processing besides a little sanding.








No comments:

Post a Comment