Sunday, November 28, 2021

Santiago Perez-Isaza Skateboard Laser Engraving

 Concept



        The original concept for this project was to mimic more worn out skateboards that are covered in decals and the first custom decal was this warped smiley face. I began to experiment with more symmetrical designs. I wanted to implement a pattern in there so I created the rounded triangles. they go down the center of the board with spaces made for the two "decals" I made. I was also going to laser cut some pieces of tape deck for the other side of the board to add more to the design but wasn't able to because of other restrictions

Techniques
        I created most of the board within Photoshop and Illustrator. Illustrator was perfect for creating the fonts I used plus the patterns. I used photoshop to make the smiley face then had illustrator convert that into a vector image. The design was organized into it's final version in Rhino 7 and the final curves were added in there as well. When it came time to laser engrave everything onto the board, I did two passes, one over the center of the board so the laser would be focused at that height and the other one at the height of the edges. That was done because the curvature of the board was too much that the edges would've been very out of focus and ended up looking wrong.

   


Materials
        The materials I chose for the mockup were as a light brown wood texture that kind of matched the real board. The laser engravings were all done in a black material to match the look that the laser cutter created. I added the grip tape design I never got to make into this mockup so it could at least exist in this digital space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment