Sunday, November 28, 2021

Brendan Young: Week 10 Skateboard Deck Laser Engraving

Concept: For my board I drew inspiration from yin and yang, peace and chaos, and I wanted this to be reflected each on opposite sides of the board, and a different perspective would be seen when riding. I wanted a simple design that also could show a different meaning depending on how you looked at it.
Technique: First I had drawn my design on papper mostly out of just thought at first, and then I started to look at reference material once I had an idea of what I had wanted to do. I was able to simply take a picture of my design and image trace it in illustrator to then import into rhino, but this was rather annoying at first as my lighting kept messing up the image trace. Making the 3D model wasn't too bad either as I just extruded the outline of my skatboard and used the bend tool to get the tail end nose up. For the holes on the skateboard I just used cylinders and boolean difference.
Materials: My materials stayed very simple in rhino and keyshot, I really only needed to have a wood texture for the board and then I had a house backplate for my environment in keyshot. In terms of physical materials, I used a maple board from amazon to print on. I ended up buying trucks and grip tape as well, but I likely will not put these on as I don't want to ride the board unless I were to make another.

No comments:

Post a Comment