Sunday, November 28, 2021

Anthony Lopez: Week 11 Deck Laser Engraving

CONCEPT

I took my original drawing which was the ASL spelling for “LOVE” and I scanned it with my phone using Adobe Scan. Then I inserted it into Adobe Capture which allowed me to alter the original design into a sophisticated pattern. Inspired by patterns revolving around repeating diamonds or stars I sought to create an elegant pattern that was clean and timeless.


TECHNIQUES

I imported the design into Illustrator and used image trace to get a product I could work with in Rhino. However when I imported that file into rhino the curves it gave me were way too close to each other for the main hexagon shapes. This meant that if I tried to laser cut it the curves would have overlapped with each other and it would not have been pretty. So I used the explode command to try and separate the curves of the hexagon so that instead of a curve and a stroke it would be just the curve. Unfortunately this did not work so I decided that I would trace the shapes manually. 

I then began to trace one hexagon and one star with the line command. Then for the ovals surrounding those two I used the curve command to trace the oval shapes. After that I copy/pasted the set of shapes and used the move tool to move them to the location represented in the original design. I used the hatch command to create the raster of the stars.

MATERIALS

The post processing consisted of painting the stars that were the rasters hatched into the deck. Each was painted different colors and I used acrylic paint.



















No comments:

Post a Comment