Sunday, November 28, 2021

Paige Brown: Week 12 Pepakura "Creature" Sculpture

 My design for the Pepakura sculpture assignment was an amalgamation of various objects and animals. I wanted to create something simple but fantastical so I combined elements of a fairy, bat, kiwi, and duck.
Specifically the kiwi fruit. Not the filghtless bird.


I created the model in 3DS Max as it is the software I am most comfortable with.
I created a cube and converted it to an editable poly. I then navigated to the command panel and opened the editable poly modifier. I chose verticies sub modifier and began sculpting the model. Creating geometry with loop and chamfer as I needed them. The model was meant to be low poly and it's easier to add gemoetry rather than take it away.

I threw an additional modifier called turbosmooth onto the model for rendering purposes. It smoothes the model and can be turned on and off at will unless the modifiers are collapsed to make the changes permanent.



Now while I created the "Kiwi Bat" our group ultimately went with what we affectionatly dubbed the "Chicken". We chose the design because the model was more stable compared to the other two. It had more stability because it had 4 points of contact with the floor and its center of gravity is lower. It just had an overall better design to make a physical sculpture that could stand on its own.


G made the model and assembled the sheets for cutting in Rhino. We eventually exported our Rhino files to an svg file format so it could be used with Lightburn at the off campus Makerspace.

I was responsible for taking the sheets to the Makerspace to be cut and operating the laser to get them cut. G provided me with the paper to get the job done.

Here are some examples of test strips.



I modified the settings from here so the numbers wouldn't burn all the way through.


Timothy bought loctite and helped assemble the finished product above.

No comments:

Post a Comment