Sunday, November 28, 2021

Winston Huo: Week 12 Laser Engraved Skateboard Deck

 



The concept for the design of my skateboard deck actually arose out of the initial concept for my lamp. The verticality of the skateboard deck, however, lent itself much better to the design. My design has a simple underwater theme with some seaweed, bubbles rising to the top of the water, and some fish swimming about.


In terms of my technique, much like my lamp, the majority of the work for the engraving file was done in Illustrator, with layer assignments done in Rhino. On the file used for rendering, after I sorted out my layers, I used Extrude Curve and Boolean Difference to hollow out where the rasters would go, and I used Extrude Curve again to inlay my actual rasters. For my vectors, I used Extrude Curve to create an ever so slight (0.01") extrusion and Explode to remove the surfaces created by the closed curves. For the actual board, I made some modifications to the template provided, and extruded the main body and tails as separate pieces, then rotated the tails and using Boolean Union to join them to the body. I then created circles and used Extrude Curve and Boolean Difference to create the wheel mounts. Finally, I used Fillet Edge to create the curved edges of the skateboard.



For my materials, I used an ash wood that was similar in color and grain to my actual skateboard deck. For the rasters, I used the same ash wood material but altered the color to reflect what they would be in the final product. I decided to go for a decorative skateboard and put it on a wall in a living space next to some posters as that's an appropriate place for it to go.





No comments:

Post a Comment